The one thing that pisses me off about ‘creativity’, school tells us “your either born with a creative brain or not”. Well, this is a lie. Since I’ve started writing these articles and been working on the branding for a Juice Company… I try and live a creative life, the more ideas I have the more value I know I can bring to the table… I hope these 27 things help you live and breathe creativity …
- Coconut Oil and Coffee. A strong coffee, I mean really strong coffee, add a dollop of coconut oil into the mixture- feel like Stephen Hawking and Andy Warhole’s Love Child on speed. No idea why. But this combo makes me more creative.
- Pick You favourite film. Go on Youtube, watch three or four interviews with the director. Re-watch the film. Instead of focusing on the story line (you know that because you’ve seen the fucker before), Now you focus on the creative decisions of the director. You’ll learn creativity from the best in the world, and like osmosis it will just make you more creative. I like Quentin Tarrintino, but you can pick your favourite director.
- Have a notepad on you at ALL times. Failing that use the app Evernote. Idea comes into noggin wanna trap that MOFO on paper. You never know, it could make you DOUGH in the future.
- Shit ideas are just as important as good ideas. To get a good idea, you need a HELLA load of shit ones. Embrace the shit ones, like paint balling you need to fire off a load of bad paintballs before you hit your target. Keep firing shite paintballs.
- Using your notepad. Think of company that has really really really fucked off you off in the past. List 5 ways they could have done a better job. Bloody boring, I know, but starts firing up that creative muscle. Once you get that fucker into gear 5, you’ll be gunning a Chevy down the creative highway. .
- Using your notepad. You’re Favourite restaurant, something that could be done better. I love Pret (not my favourite BUT give me one of their Sarnies, I’m getting HELLA CRUNK). How can it be improved? 1. They do free water, on the side of there stores, the water should have lemon and limes in it. 2. The chairs are utterly shit, they need more comfy chairs likes Costa. 3. Should have a Pret Card like nannies, manz owed some sandwiches.
- Go to the gym, but never ever, ever plan your workout. A planned work out is boring, monotonous and saps the fun out of going to the gym. Roll with the punch’s as soon as you get in there. You will literally FORCE your brain to be creative. you literally force yourself to be creative pair random exercise, I’ve started just matching lower and upper body exercises- see if it works.
- Read the War of Art by Stephen Pressfield. Thank me Later.
- Cook without a recipe. Get a load of ingredients bend the rules. I’ll combo up chinese with italian… fucking nut job mate… blending cuisines = being creative.
- Watch this by Robert Rodriguez, probably the most creative thing I’ve ever seen. Made a blockbuster movie with a mere 7 GRAND.
- Listen to Jazz- no reason why, when I listen to Jazz I’m more creative. Could work for you too
- The Shopping Bag Technique- want to stimulate creativity? pick you favourite brand and think of what their shopping bag looks like? Usually they are fucking boring. Think of ways you can re-design the bag and make it look cool or weird or strange. Here’s mine: A 4 back of beers, instead of being in some dead holder, place them in a four way condom with the strap line being “Proceed with Caution”.
- Do stuff and things where YOU have to create the image in your head… Don’t watch things… they give the image to you, this stifles creativity. Instead listen and read books.
- Meditate: you clear your head of annoying, pain in the fucking arse thoughts and leave utterly boundless, orgasmic space for creativity to flourish like a beautiful daffodil in spring.
- Practice whilst you do something everyday. On a train to work, on a bus to Uni… practice creativity EVERYDAY. James Altucher says creativity is like a muscle it needs to be worked out everyday. Work it out when your doing something boring.
- Look at buildings. I walk through London and look at architecture. I put my brain in the architects mind and think “Where was he going with this one?” Do this. It makes walking more interesting. It stimulates creativity.
- Ask Why. To everything you hear, see and smell. Why do Pret package their sandwiches like this? Why is the logo that colour? Ask why you’ll be more creative. Because YOU have to create an answer.
- Look at billboards- I love billboards, companies spend MILLIONS on creativity for these things… let me tell you this… EVERY SINGLE BILLBOARD has had a huge amount of creative spending placed on it. Analyse them… you’ll be more creative.
- Car journeys- For me, every single idea I thought of was whilst I was doing my white van job, had a pen and note pad next to me- IDEAS would fly in. I thought I was some fucking weirdo (which I am), turns out Sara Blakely CEO of Spanx and worth BILLIONS, does the same thing. Her ideas come to her when she’s driving. Hence goes on ‘creative drives’. Go on ‘creative drives’, write down ideas…see what happens.
- Don’t just Read. Read and Pen. School taught us to read the book, close and discard. Fucking retards. When you read have a pen, your essentially unlocking a successful persons brain… to sap every last cell you need a pen on hand. Underline. Write comments. Make Notes. Repeat.
- LEGO, I learnt this one playing with little cousin at X xmas. Building blocks of lego, makes weird fucking ideas come to your head. Write them down.
- Doodle- I spent most of my time at Uni doodling… on paper on anything… it calms the mind down… when the mind is calm, creativity flourishes.
- Smoke a joint. I don’t smoke weed. But some of the best creatives in the world were stoners… every single rapper, the creators of Superbad, Southpark, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles- the best creatives, got high, there must be something in that wacky baccy.
- Re-invent the pizza box. Try this on the train, using your notepad. How can you reinvent the pizza box make it better? I’m not entirely sure… but you’ll definitely force some creativity.
- Go to quirky cafes, it helps boost creativity, I don’t really know why but it does. Maybe because you ca get fucking good coffee at these places.
- Think of something so bog standard and make it unbelievably fucking interesting. A tube… bland, boring, soulless, moving piece of shit. How do you make it interesting? My Ideas- 1. play stand up comedy recordings through the speakers whilst the train moves 2. make all the chairs leather, 3. have free water as your board the train 4. Have a monkey strip teasing on the poles in the middle. Will it ever happen, No? Was it creative Yes?
- Other boring shit you could think about making better: The Bus, A Train, A Carton of Milk, An Umbrella, A School Desk…4 ways to make these things interesting, BINGO MAAAA SON- You’ve initiated creativity.
If you like this article please share it to help other people be more creative or like my Facebook Page
Thank you xx